Friday, April 8, 2011

Lemon Blueberry Muffins :-)


When we visited my Dad & Gwen, I think my cooking skill level increase finally set in with Gwen and she and I cooked an amazing meal together ;-) She showed me this cookbook that she just bought and my mouth dropped open. She offered me the book and I promised to use some of the recipes, since all my life, I've been a real bull in a china shop when it comes to cooking in the kitchen. So the first recipe is for lemon blueberry muffins...these turned out to be some of the best muffins I've ever had!!! Sure one muffin is light, but if you eat the whole pan, it no longer is, so don't make these thinking they are diet food ;-) Unfortunately, I can't give the recipe since it is copyright, but I'll be cooking quite a few recipes from the book so if you want to follow along, pick up a copy of The Best of Cooking Light...it is great!

Step 1: Mix up your dry ingredients. This includes cutting in the butter. I started cutting it in with two knives crossing each other, but it took too long. I finished up the process by squeezing the butter lumps down and mixing it with my hands. I also added 4 packs of splenda with fiber to add some sweetness (it really needs it) and some fiber. I guess the bad health effects from Splenda will be cancelled out by the fiber...???!!! Probably not...



Step 2: Zest the lemon...and that is loosely packed, actually not packed at all, just loose! Never pack your zest down in your tablespoon measuring device or it will be waaaay too tart ;-)



Step 3: Combine the wet ingredients:



Step 4: Whisk it all together. Add in all of the dry ingredients and continue to mix with the whisk.



Step 5: Stir in the blueberries.



Step 6: Preheat the oven & spoon in the muffins with an ice cream scoop. Using a scoop alleviates a lot of the mess. Oh, and FYI, the book says they will stick to paper liners, so I skipped them all together.



Step 7: Bake



And here they are with all their lemon-y fresh springtime goodness:



And yes, they taste just as good...if not better than they look!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment