Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Reluctant Bruschetta



As some of you already know, I purchased a basil plant to put in our window sill and eventually move out into the yard once the weather warms up a bit. I just love basil, it is one of my favorite go to herbs in my cooking. So to save money and to always be able to have it on hand, I went ahead and paid the $1.99 (I figured if it died, at least I would already be ahead money wise, because I can use what is already on the plant, which costed less than it costs to buy basil pre cut in the little packages).

So I put it in my window sill and let it grow and grow, eventually leaning towards the sun.

Yesterday, Dave came home with these bagel bites and challenged me to make something to go on it. I immediately thought of bruschetta...the perfect opportunity to use my fresh basil.

I cut up and seeded 6 roma tomatoes, chopped one scallion, minced 2 cloves of garlic, added 1 Tbsp EVOO, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I stirred it all up and went to go and get my plant. That's when I realized what I was about to do. I had to pick off the little green leaves...my baby! I thought to myself, get over it...it's a plant. It's not like I'm serving up dog or cat or something like that. Plants don't have feelings. So I pulled off the leaves and thinly sliced it up...there was green carnage all over the cutting board and I felt so bad!!!

Guilty as it was, the basil was fresher, more fragrant, and flavorful than any that I've ever bought from the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment